Brest cancer Research
Breast cancer is one of the most common tumors and is one of the leading causes of cancer death in women, especially in developed countries.
Totale finanziato €100%finanziato
Promofarma.com clienti 2.750€
Quelle persone che in maniera naturale hanno tratto beneficio dalle azioni portate avanti dal progetto
Quelle persone identificabili che ricevono un effetto potenziale dalle azioni portate avanti dal progetto.
- Personale 2.750€
- Totale 2.750€
Breast cancer is the most frequent type of cancer in women. It is estimated that one in 10 women may suffer from it sometime during their life. Although a large majority of breast cancer tumours are cured, even today 20% of patients are not. Resistance to treatment or the absence of specific therapies against certain types of breast cancer explains why certain tumours cannot be completely eliminated.
The breast cancer research projects headed by Atanasio Pandiella and Alberto Ocaña are focused mainly on two particularly aggressive types of breast cancer:
- Triple -Negative Breast Tumours: Triple -negative breast cancer receives this name because the tumour cells lack certain molecules that define other types of breast cancer. These tumours have a very poor prognosis, and there is currently no specific therapy against them. Research in this field is therefore urgently required to develop effective therapies against these types of tumours.
- Her2+ Breast Tumours: Her2+ breast cancers are very aggressive tumours, with cells presenting a large amount of the protein called Her2, which is the main reason for their transformation. Although there is a treatment against this type of tumours, a large number of patients develop a resistance to the treatments. This project is focused on finding out the mechanisms whereby the tumour cells avoid the treatment.
Obiettivi del progetto
Identify the causes associated to resistance of certain treatments and develop new drugs to improve the prognosis and cure rate.
- Generation of in vitro and in vivo models resistance anti-HER2 therapies. It is creating cells resistant to trastuzumab and lapatinib proposed by continued treatment with these drugs.
- Detailed analysis of the mechanisms responsible for this resistance analysis using genomic and proteomic techniques.
- Conducting screenings RNAi libraries and inhibitory compounds, with the aim of identifying targets that could be used to combat resistance mechanisms.
Chi ne trarrà beneficio?
Improve four patients will have their DNA alterations analyzed.