According to an e-commerce study carried out by Elogio in colobaration with IAB Spain last year, 67% of internet users purchase on the internet, which implies that there are more than 19 million online shoppers in our country.
The study, however, did not simply find out these statistics but it also analysed the demographic profile of the buyer. This analysis does not only allow us to know the potential shoppers who buy online, but it also allows us to understand what is it that makes the buyers choose one business over another.
The profile of an online shopper
- They are on average 37 years old: 32% are between 16 and 30 years old whereas 27% are between 31 and 39 years old. Therefore, the majority of online shoppers are younger than 40.
- 39% of online shoppers have gone through higher education.
- 97% of online shoppers use at least one social network and 76% of them use an instant messaging app.
- 72% are in employment.
- There are no differences between men and women: 50% of online shoppers are men, and the other 50% are women.
With all of the above information, the description considerably fits in with that of a millennial: young people born between the 80s and the start of the 2000s, who have had an undeniable influence of technology in their day-to-day lives.
Therefore, if the online shopper of today is a millennial, why is it more important now than ever to take CSR actions? The 2015 Cone Communications Millennial CSR Study gives us a few clues:
- 87% of millennials would buy a product which has social or environmental benefits.
- 93% of millennials hold a better opinion of a business when they know that you are carrying out CSR actions.
- 70% would pay more for a responsible product.
- 38% of millennials share information about brands or causes which have moved them on social media and 18% of them contact the business to talk about these topics.
Do you still need more reasons to start to connect with your target audience through CSR?