A computer, connection to the internet and a certain amount of time. That is all you need to start to sell through the internet. It sounds simple, but it is not always as simple as it seems. In order for an e-commerce to produce results, you have to dedicate a lot of time and effort, pay attention to the details, and above all, never neglect these five things:
1. The design. Your online store must be pleasing to the eye, but it also must be simple to understand. The customer must immediately sense how to get around the website, how to find what they are looking for, how to return to the previous page, where to find … We internet users are, by definition, lovers of the simple, easy and fast things. Make it easy for your clients!
2. The photography. If there was one aspect that shops have always had, it is that you can see the product, touch it, and in some cases, try it. The online world does not offer this possibility, which makes that the only contact your clients will have with the product, will be through photos. Make sure that they are honest, and at the same time, appealing!
3. Social networks. E-commerce and social networks must always go hand in hand for two reasons: the first being that it is the way to get to and attract potential customers, the second being that it allows to make your brand ‘more human’. The online sales channels can inspire certain mistrust and doubt amongst the clients, so take advantage of the potential of social networks to battle this mistrust and doubt!
4. Customer service. It might be that your clients have overcome their mistrust and doubt and they have decided to buy something, but they have doubts about the size that is right for them (for example). So they write to you and they get a very late reply or not one at all. You have not only lost this sale, but you have also lost the trust that your client had placed in your store. Look after your customers at every stage of the sale.
5. The possibility of a refund or an exchange. Keeping to the theme of creating confidence. Is your client not happy with their purchase? Make it easy for them to exchange it. They might even make another purchase that suits them better. If you make it difficult for them, they will never buy anything from the store again.