Coronavirus emergency reliefSpain
On January 7, 2020, the WHO announced the appearance of severe cases of respiratory infection related to a new coronavirus, later called Covid19. On January 30, the WHO declared this epidemic as a public health emergency of international importance. On March 12, the WHO declared a pandemic and called on all countries to prepare for the response.
Total raised €100%raised
Iberdrola clients 100.090€
Those people who have naturally benefited from the project's interventions.
Those identifiable people who will potentially recieve an effect from the project's activities.
- Materials 100.090€
- Total 100.090€
Due to the health emergency situation we are experiencing for Covid19, field hospitals have been set up around several hospitals in Spain.
Médicos del Mundo, due to its knowledge in epidemics, will manage field hospitals, providing them with the necessary medical and hygiene material for proper operation.
Teams of experts work closely with hospital staff to review the entire protocol for infection control and prevention (IPC), of health centers and designing entry and exit circuits for personnel in “red zones” or contaminated areas,to minimize the risk of contagion. In addition, they also provide training about the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and give advise on safe alternatives in case of a lack of material, to optimize the resources available to them and minimize risk.
Additionally, MDM will also collaborate with the Occupational Health and Preventive Medicine Services to improve prevention protocols in the hospitalization areas. The main objective is to reduce infections in hospital environments and protect health professionals. Nearly 6,000 have already been infected throughout the country. Almost 15% of the total number of people affected are health workers, which is seriously undermining the system’s capacity to provide care.
- Enabling field hospitals to treat positive covid people in coordination with the National Health System.
- Establishment of protocols for the Prevention and Control of the epidemic with the Occupational Health and Preventive Medicine Services in hospitalization spaces.
- Training of health personnel in the use of personal protective equipment and strategies to optimize the resources available to them and minimize risk.
- Enabling safe spaces for people affected by the pandemic and with special housing and health care needs, alnd providing them with basic goods and materials.
Who will benefit?
Health personnel and people served by covid19 in the hospitals where MDM operates and people at risk of social exclusion especially affected by this emergency.
- Reduce infections in hospital environments and protect health professionals.
- Provide safe quarantine spaces - pavilions and other public facilities - providing them with medical care and essential goods (food, medication, hygiene kits, etc ...) to protect people in situations of maximum vulnerability in different areas of Spain.
Médicos del Mundo fully complies with the 9 Principles of Transparency and Good Practices analyzed by the Lealtad Foundation
Updates & Links
Médicos del Mundo (video) - spanish