Microcredit for women in Burkina FasoBurkina Faso
100 women will receive a microcredit thanks to which they will undertake a small income-generating activity with which to alleviate the heavy family burden they bear, and what is more important, they will change their "social status" that will allow them to decide for themselves themselves what to do with their lives and that of their children in case of widowing
Total raised €100%raised
Nicequest clients 5.003€
Those people who have naturally benefited from the project's interventions.
Those identifiable people who will potentially recieve an effect from the project's activities.
- Funding 5.000€
- Total 5.000€
FAR has been granting microcredits since 2007 to women living in extreme poverty and exclusion from the Rimkieta neighborhood (in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso), who do not have access to the conventional microfinance system in Burkina Faso. The objective is to favor the professional development of women and equal opportunities, providing women with the necessary help to start a small "business" (production and sale of food, purchase/sale of vegetables and condiments, sale of firewood or charcoal). , weaver, etc.), with which to generate income and which will allow her to decide for herself what to do with her life and that of her children in the event of widowing.
In addition, the fact that a woman carries out an economic activity increases the chances that she will be able to send her children to school and that they will stay longer in school.
Microcredits are granted individually to women organized in groups of a minimum of 20 women, without endorsements or guarantees. It has been shown that the fact that women group together for this type of financial aid facilitates training, monitoring and solidarity and cohesion among the women beneficiaries.
- Carry out informative sessions for the women of the neighbourhood, with the aim of explaining the project to them and encouraging them to create a group.
- Train women on basic financial issues (management of microcredits, savings, management of remunerative activities, etc.) and social issues (group cohesion, solidarity, health, family, etc.). Training is mandatory and is organized in groups of 20 women.
- Grant credits once said training has been successfully completed. A management committee is responsible for deciding whether or not to grant them.
Who will benefit?
Mujeres en situación de extrema pobreza y exclusión del barrio de Rimkieta, barrio paupérrimo de Ouagadougou, capital de Burkina Faso, que no tienen acceso al sistema de micro finanzas convencional de Burkina.
- Provide economic aid adapted to women in situations of extreme poverty and risk of exclusion.
- Relieve the heavy family burden that these women bear
- Promote equal opportunities
- Allow women to decide for themselves what to do with their lives and that of their children in case of widowing
- Training women in basic financial and social issues
Updates & Links
Fundación Amigos de Rimkieta (web)